About Me

I have a passion for making great food and I love to try new recipes. I hope that you will enjoy trying the recipes that I have tried and will like them as much as I do!

Monday, January 3, 2011

Split Pea Soup

My friend Cathy makes the BEST split pea soup and she shared her recipe with me and I make it often during the cold winter months. I thought that maybe you'd like to try it to:

Cathy's Split Pea Soup
2 quarts water
1 smoked ham bone with 1 or 2 cups ham
1 pound split peas, well rinsed
1 c. diced onion
1 c. sliced carrots
1 c. sliced celery
2 bay leafs
6 whole allspice
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp salt
Rinse peas and add to water along with the ham bone and heat for 1 hour on low heat. Add all spices along with the onions, carrots and celery. Simmer for another hour until peas have cooked apart. Serve or cool and store in refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment