About Me

I have a passion for making great food and I love to try new recipes. I hope that you will enjoy trying the recipes that I have tried and will like them as much as I do!

Saturday, June 23, 2012

Crock Pot Applesauce

I am a total Pinterest junkie and I really think I need help! ha ha I have been finding a TON of great ideas and recipes on there and I found another crock pot recipe for applesauce. I had about 6 apples that were going bad fast and needed something to do with them and I didn't want to heat up the oven since we are having 90 degree weather. I came across this recipe and thought why not try it, I really have nothing to loose. I put all the ingredients in the crock pot, when to bed and in the morning I had some really good applesauce! Plus this is great for Weight Watchers as it only has 1 point per 1/4 cup.

 
8 medium apples (Use a combination of Golden Delicious, Honey Crisp, Fuji, Gala, etc.)

1 strips of lemon peel - use a vegetable peeler 

1 tsp fresh lemon juice

3 inch cinnamon stick

5 tsp light brown sugar (unpacked) - or agave

1.  Peel, core and chop the apples.

2.  Add the sugar, lemon peel, lemon juice and cinnamon stick.

3.  Set crock pot to low and cook for 6 hours. Stir apples occasionally, apples will slowly become a delicious applesauce. Remove cinnamon stick and use an immersion blender to blend until smooth or if you prefer a chunky sauce, leave sauce intact. (I used a food processor.)

4.  Can and process as you would other recipes or keep refrigerated up to 3 weeks.

I didn't have a cinnamon stick so I just sprinkled some cinnamon in there and I didn't have a lemon so I used and orange peel and it turned out great. I didn't have the best apples for sauce, as they weren't very juicy,
so when I processed them in the processor I added some apple juice to thin it out and it worked great.

I took some of this in to my Guinea pigs at work (co-workers) and they thought it was fantastic!

No comments:

Post a Comment