About Me

I have a passion for making great food and I love to try new recipes. I hope that you will enjoy trying the recipes that I have tried and will like them as much as I do!

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Creamy Cauliflower Cheddar Soup

Here's a very easy recipe for one of these upcoming chilly fall nights. Not only is this easy it is very good too! I did, however, change the recipe when I made it. Dave and I are not big fans of Dijon mustard so when this recipe called for 2 tsp of it I was going to omit it all together. When tasting the soup it was awesome without it but then I did add 1 tsp instead of two and I have to admit that it added just a little something to it.


Creamy Cauliflower Cheddar Soup

Ingredients:

2 tbsp. unsalted butter
2 shallots, minced
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
Kosher or sea salt
1 medium potato, peeled and diced into ¼-inch cubes
2 cloves garlic, minced
3½ cups vegetable broth
½ head cauliflower, chopped into small florets
2/3 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese, plus more for garnish
2 tsp. Dijon mustard

Directions:

Melt the butter in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the shallots and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly softened, about 4-5 minutes. Season with salt, then mix in the potato, garlic and vegetable broth. Cover the pot and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to a simmer, keep covered, and let cook for about 8 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Add the cauliflower and cook about 5-6 minutes more, until the cauliflower is tender. Stir in the cheese and mustard.

Puree with an immersion blender (or a food processor, vented to allow the steam to escape). Mix in additional water or broth if the soup is too thick. Season with additional salt to taste. Serve warm topped with additional shredded cheese.

When I made this I did not have vegetable broth so I used chicken broth and it tasted just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment