About Me

I have a passion for making great food and I love to try new recipes. I hope that you will enjoy trying the recipes that I have tried and will like them as much as I do!

Sunday, October 27, 2013

Freezer Apple Pie Filling

I went apple picking at my friend Barb's mom's place and I had a TON of apples. I had already made two batches of apple sauce and needed something else to do with all these apples. Well I went searching Pinterest and came across this recipe and it was easy and tasted fantastic so I made two batches of pie filling to put into my freezer.
Here's what it looked like all done and cooling

 This batch made enough for 6 pies! 
I made up two pies and here is filling for 4 more. For a 
regular pie crust you will need 3 cups of filling and if you
are doing a deep dish pie you will need 6 cups of filling. My
bags are filled with 3 cups.

 My baked apple pie with Streusel topping!


Ok here are the recipes for both the pie filling and the Streusel topping with the 
baking instructions too!

Freezer Apple Pie Filling

Ingredients
  • 18 cups peeled, thinly sliced apples
  • 3 Tbsp lemon juice
  • 2 cups granulated sugar
  • 2 cups brown sugar
  • 1 cup cornstarch
  • 2 Tbsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp salt
  • ¼ tsp ground nutmeg (optional – I leave this out, but some people like nutmeg, the crazies :))
  • 8-9 cups water

Instructions
  1. In large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice and set aside.
  2. Pour water into largest pan/Dutch oven you have, and place over medium heat.
  3. Combine sugars, cornstarch, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg. Add to water and whisk well. Bring to a boil and boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
  4. Add apples and return to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until apples are tender and mixture is thickened, about 6-8 minutes. Cool for 30 minutes before dividing over 5 freezer containers, leaving ½” head space in each container. Leave lids off and cool at room temperature for 1 – 1½ hours, then seal and freeze.
  5. This can be frozen for up to a year. 
Streusel Topping

 1 cup flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened 
 
Preheat oven at 375 degrees with a cookie sheet on the center rack.
Pour apple mixture into frozen pie crust.
Make the streusel crumb topping by mixing together with a fork in a medium bowl the flour, cinnamon, and light brown sugar. Then mix in the softened butter with a fork, stirring and blending until the mixture resembles crumbs.
Top the pie with the crumb topping, place on the cookie sheet in the preheated oven and bake for 40 - 45 minutes until the crust is a deep golden brown and the filling bubbles.
Remove from oven, cool 30 minutes and serve warm with ice cream and caramel ice cream topping drizzled over pie, if desired.


No comments:

Post a Comment